Good news and missing Mo
Let's see.. Yesterday I did my first tissue cell culture and made up the medium. It was good fun, if a little confusing. Looked at the HeLa cells that Kathryn cultured for us yesterday afternoon and they looked good - plenty of viable cells. The cells I did yesterday afternoon myself were another story altogether. However, I did notice after I put them in the tissue culture jars that the cell count was fairly low. And since cryogenesis tends to kill a lot of cells, the number of viable cells will also be pretty low. It may be that the centrifugation didn't work properly, although I did let them spin for longer than Kathryn did so I can't imagine that'd be the problem. So perhaps there weren't too many cells in the cryogenic tube in the first place. Nevermind, I'll just have to give them more time to grow.
Monday's going to be crazy.. An ethics lecture at 10am, lab meeting at 11am, journal club at 12pm, as soon as journal club is over we're going to separate the HeLa cells, then I have a meeting with Kathryn about my research project, and finally the Bio of Cells lab to help run from 2-5pm... That's life I guess. I'm contemplating dropping the bio of cells lab and maybe doing some note-taking instead.. No prep time, and better pay.
Looking for a new place to live isn't going so well.. I looked at one place this week and, while it's not great, it'd be better than this I hope... Might look at another place on Saturday - not sure though.
On a brighter note, Kathryn asked me for my bank account number the other day.. Apparently they had some extra money and decided to split it between the top two students.. Me and Sarah. So that'll be "$800 and some change." I was pretty happy that I'm in the top two because I completely didn't expect it. It makes me want to apply for some other scholarships because it means my grades are pretty good.
Still missing Mo and home. At least Jeroen will be back at the end of next week - hopefully I'll be able to move out of here then too because I'm going to go crazy here otherwise. If it was quieter, the rooms were a little bigger and I had natural light it might be okay. But as it is, I have no where to study, the light (or lack of it) makes my eyes tired and there's no where to put anything. Oh well.. Only another week I hope...
Monday's going to be crazy.. An ethics lecture at 10am, lab meeting at 11am, journal club at 12pm, as soon as journal club is over we're going to separate the HeLa cells, then I have a meeting with Kathryn about my research project, and finally the Bio of Cells lab to help run from 2-5pm... That's life I guess. I'm contemplating dropping the bio of cells lab and maybe doing some note-taking instead.. No prep time, and better pay.
Looking for a new place to live isn't going so well.. I looked at one place this week and, while it's not great, it'd be better than this I hope... Might look at another place on Saturday - not sure though.
On a brighter note, Kathryn asked me for my bank account number the other day.. Apparently they had some extra money and decided to split it between the top two students.. Me and Sarah. So that'll be "$800 and some change." I was pretty happy that I'm in the top two because I completely didn't expect it. It makes me want to apply for some other scholarships because it means my grades are pretty good.
Still missing Mo and home. At least Jeroen will be back at the end of next week - hopefully I'll be able to move out of here then too because I'm going to go crazy here otherwise. If it was quieter, the rooms were a little bigger and I had natural light it might be okay. But as it is, I have no where to study, the light (or lack of it) makes my eyes tired and there's no where to put anything. Oh well.. Only another week I hope...

1 Comments:
you're the best :)
Post a Comment
<< Home