My thoughts on religion and America
I couldn't think of anything to write and figured there would be no entry from me tonight. However, while playing a game, I came up with something to write. I seem to think better while in the shower or playing games, and play better while I'm thinking of something other than what I'm doing. I'm not sure just what it was that got me thinking about religion - perhaps it was the man preaching about God in the square while we were shopping on Christmas Eve.
I don't really believe in God, or the bible or anything like that. I prefer to "believe" in the things that there is some experimental evidence for (yeah, can you tell I'm a scientist?) or not know where we came from, then to believe we were created by a God of some kind. I also prefer to live by my own rules and ideas of right and wrong, rather than to follow those written in another time by some unknown author. That's just me. Having said that, I have no problems with someone believing in a God of some sort, or believing what is written in the bible. As long as they realise I don't believe the same thing and they can deal with that, then it's all good. In fact, if religion helps someone cope with the things life throws at them, then that can only be good right? It's when people hide behind the bible or religion to preach oppression of minorities or those with different beliefs, or to start wars with those who interpret the bible differently or worship a different God that I start to find it difficult to agree with the idea of religion. Afterall, to talk about tolerance in Church and then yell and scream at those who believe something different (whether we're talking about gay people or those who have no problem with abortions or those who follow a different religion - or no religion at all) is just a little.. Odd. Wasn't it Christians that led the Witch Hunts in the past, somehow hiding behind the bible to make it "right" to kill women who were thought to be "witches?" And when George Bush attacked Afghanistan and later Iraq, destroying what little the people there had, didn't he tell the American people that it was what God was telling him to do? I'm sure that's about as true as the line that it was to do with September 11 and Al Quaeda. I still wonder which idiotic speech writer or campaign manager came up with that one - although, the (small) majority of Americans seem to have bought at least one of those two lines.
While we're on the subject of America, let's talk about double standards. America is most certainly the champion of double standards. Let's look at a few examples..
So by now you've probably realised that I'm not a big fan of the American attitude, and even less of a fan of George Bush. I still find it difficult to believe that Americans gave him another term in office. I think he's incredibly stupid, and a stupid man with so much power is incredibly dangerous. I hope he doesn't destroy the planet before he gets out of office...
I don't really believe in God, or the bible or anything like that. I prefer to "believe" in the things that there is some experimental evidence for (yeah, can you tell I'm a scientist?) or not know where we came from, then to believe we were created by a God of some kind. I also prefer to live by my own rules and ideas of right and wrong, rather than to follow those written in another time by some unknown author. That's just me. Having said that, I have no problems with someone believing in a God of some sort, or believing what is written in the bible. As long as they realise I don't believe the same thing and they can deal with that, then it's all good. In fact, if religion helps someone cope with the things life throws at them, then that can only be good right? It's when people hide behind the bible or religion to preach oppression of minorities or those with different beliefs, or to start wars with those who interpret the bible differently or worship a different God that I start to find it difficult to agree with the idea of religion. Afterall, to talk about tolerance in Church and then yell and scream at those who believe something different (whether we're talking about gay people or those who have no problem with abortions or those who follow a different religion - or no religion at all) is just a little.. Odd. Wasn't it Christians that led the Witch Hunts in the past, somehow hiding behind the bible to make it "right" to kill women who were thought to be "witches?" And when George Bush attacked Afghanistan and later Iraq, destroying what little the people there had, didn't he tell the American people that it was what God was telling him to do? I'm sure that's about as true as the line that it was to do with September 11 and Al Quaeda. I still wonder which idiotic speech writer or campaign manager came up with that one - although, the (small) majority of Americans seem to have bought at least one of those two lines.
While we're on the subject of America, let's talk about double standards. America is most certainly the champion of double standards. Let's look at a few examples..
- Prosecution for war crimes - this in itself leads to two examples of double standards. American soldiers can not be prosecuted for war crimes - yet every other soldier can. So it's fine for American soldiers to do all sorts of awful, demeaning things to prisoners (forgetting they're still people, and preferrably without the world knowing about it) and anyone else during a war, but any soldier from somewhere else can (and will if possible) be prosecuted. If discovered, American soldiers may be charged with something back in America - but only to appease America's "friends." Then there's the whole situation with Saddam Husein (not sure about the spelling but it's late)... He's on trial for war crimes because he was in charge of the army when all the horrible crimes were committed.. Not that there's necessarily any evidence that he himself actually took part in the killing. So my question is.. Why isn't George Bush put on trial for the things his soldiers did in Afghanistan and Iraq? Because he's American and Americans are above the law.
- International Law - America broke various international laws with their attacks on/invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq.. Yet there's no punishment because America refuses to adhere to international law. Of course, every other country is supposed to adhere to it, and you can bet American would be the first to want another country punished if they broke international law (particularly if it would benefit America in some way).
- Nuclear Weapons - Everyone else is expected to disarm while America should be the only ones to keep their weapons.. How this is fair I have no idea. I still don't know why everyone lets America tell them what they can and cannot do in their own countries. It's just insane. I'm glad NZ is keeping the "get stuffed America, we don't want your nuclear powered ships here" attitude despite the pressure.
So by now you've probably realised that I'm not a big fan of the American attitude, and even less of a fan of George Bush. I still find it difficult to believe that Americans gave him another term in office. I think he's incredibly stupid, and a stupid man with so much power is incredibly dangerous. I hope he doesn't destroy the planet before he gets out of office...

1 Comments:
what about a certain american? =^_^=
:D
Post a Comment
<< Home